The Embassy represents Germany in Myanmar and promotes the political, economic, cultural and academic relations between both countries. The Embassy also offers consular protection to German nationals.
As many EU member states are not represented locally in Myanmar, the German Embassy offers consular assistance and processes visa applications also for the following countries:
Processing of Schengen visa applications for the countries Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Iceland, Hungary, Luxemburg, Netherlands and Norway;
Consular assistance also for the citizens of Austria, Hungary, Luxemburg and Poland.
The main tasks of the Embassy include:
- collecting information on political, economic, social and cultural developments in Myanmar,
- reporting on issues of relevance to various authorities in Germany,
- helping German citizens in emergencies,
- processing of visa applications,
- assisting German companies and institutions in Myanmar,
- initiating and maintaining people-to-people contacts,
- promoting cultural and academic exchange,
- informing the Myanmar public about Germany,
- preparing and escorting high-level visits from Germany.